A Christmas Story
EXTENDED AUDITIONS FOR AGES 8-13: Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 6:30 pm
CALLBACKS: Thursday, October 6 at 7:00 pm (Actors scheduled at various times)
Potential Additional Callbacks: Saturday, October 8 at 10:00 am (Actors scheduled at various times)
PERFORMANCE DATES: December 2-5, 2022 (Two shows on Saturday, December 3)
Form downloads (please fill out and bring to audition):
Audition form and conflict calendar
Prepare a one minute monologue or tell a story in one minute. Seeking confident actors with strong voices and animated facial expressions, but who can also create honest portrayals of the fantastic characters in this show.
There will be some short readings from the script. Sides will be available to review before you audition. A perusal script is available in the conference room at the Cary Arts Center. Those scripts must remain on-site and cannot be checked out.
For this production, actors will need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to participate. Special exemptions waiving this requirement can be made with the director if necessary – please contact Debra Grannan at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
– Ralphie (male presenting, age 9-14): The story’s young protagonist. Equal parts dreamer and schemer, Ralphie doesn’t just covet an air rifle, he also knows (or thinks he knows) exactly how to persuade the adults around him that his cause is a righteous one.
– Ralph Parker / Narrator (male presenting, age 35 to 60): An older, wiser, and warmly reminiscent adult version of Ralphie; functions as the story’s narrator, must be able to memorize large portions of the script. Looking for a strong actor who conveys warmth and wisdom.
– The Old Man (male presenting, age early 30s to 50s): The Parker family’s beleaguered patriarch is a grumpy, yet good-hearted father with a penchant for highly original language, much of which is nonsensical. Has a deeply held desire to be a winner.
– Mrs. Parker (female presenting, age late 20s to mid 40s): A patient parent with firm convictions – in particular, the conviction that her son should not own an air rifle. It takes a lot to ruffle her feathers. Comic timing and ability to work well with young children are important talents for this role.
– Miss Shields (female presenting, age 25-65): Ralphie’s kind, and sometimes very dramatic, teacher. She’s also an integral component of his campaign for, and eventual obstacle to, the perfect Christmas gift.
– Randy (male presenting, age 6-10): Ralphie’s little brother, sure is cute, but getting him to eat his breakfast or don his snowsuit can be a serious headache.
– Schwartz and Flick (male presenting, ages 9-14) are Ralphie’s two best friends. Flick is the unfortunate guinea pig in the infamous frozen flagpole-licking experiment, while Schwartz becomes the scapegoat when Ralphie accidentally utters an unspeakable word.
– Esther Jane (female presenting, age 9-14): Ralphie’s classmate and potential romantic interest. Energetic and helpful.
– Helen Weathers (female presenting, age 9-14): Ralphie’s highly intelligent and highly confident classmate. Not afraid of anything or anyone, not even Scut Farkas.
– Scut Farkas/Black Bart (male presenting, age 10-16): The schoolyard bully with a wicked laugh, who routinely torments Ralphie and his friends, in real life and in Ralphie’s day dreams.
– Desperados 1 and 2 / Sidekicks to Scut (any gender, age 8-16): Also play classmates during flagpole and classroom scenes.
– Red Ryder (male presenting, age 18+): A cross between Roy Rogers and the Marlboro Man, without the smokes. Cowboy hero to all grade-school boys, a straight shooter, and full of campfire wisdom.
– Tree Lot Owner (any gender, 18+): Once a semi-successful car salesman, but took a seasonal side gig working the local Christmas tree lots. In one brief scene, but can be a chance for a memorable cameo.
– Santa (male presenting, age 30-65): A jolly ol’ elf, most of the time. Perhaps he’s had just one too many kids sitting on his lap.
– Delivery Man (any gender, 18+): Local townsperson, delivers the “major award.”
– Pierre Andre (male presenting, 18+): Radio personality; cameo role
– Santa’s Elves, Mrs. Claus, Bumpus Hounds/Playground Kids, Townspeople, Holiday Carolers, Voice on P.A. System